My new purchases
Icelanders are typically very creative as a culture, the country is rich in music, art, food, jewellery design, architecture.....
I love the amount of ceramic artists in the country, I've accumulated some really nice pieces over the years of visiting. Tino and I didn't buy very much during our holiday, but I did visit an amazing shop on Akureyri's main street. I really wish I could remember the name of it, it was a store selling Icelandic art & ceramics. In my element of what!! I was REALLY well behaved and didn't buy a £1300 painting I loved (and would have looked amazing over my sofa) I did get some amazing ideas though.
I bought 2 fab mugs at the airport though. There is a wonderful shop called Epal which sells Icelandic & Scandinavian designware - Marrimekko, Georg Jensen etc
The mugs I bought are by Kristin S Gardarsdottir and are pictured above in the top right pic. She makes her ceramics by plaster casts, and the mugs I have are round on the bottom so the rock. They have a mark for your thumb on one side, and 4 fingers on the other - they are glazed in very thin pastelly colours. They are really beautiful.
You can learn more about Kristin here www.subba.is



4 Comments:
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE these! Stunning!
hoshi (I want some)
WOW love those mugs - especially the white ones...
Gives you some great ideas... M XXX
Fantastic mugs - Scandanavian and Icelandic arts are just beautiful with many slick designs. I purchased a small sort of egg slide in Norway - fantastic when using the frying pan.
You could have spent my engagement/wedding present on a picture or sculpture!
Love JEG
I wonder if i could afford one or 2 of those when i head to iceland very soon..is the shop easy to find in the airport?
Sarah
(ellen's american friend)
Post a Comment
<< Home