Friday, June 20, 2008

Ass-tralia


I was mortified to learn through this article that Australia has surpassed the US as the fattest nation in the world. A country should be ashamed to appear anywhere in this table.

Today I am ashamed to be an Australian.

Australia - there is no excuse - we have amazing weather, lots of space, fantastic food, we are intelligent and have a love of sport there is no reason to have allowed this to happen. It can only come down to greed, laziness and gluttony. Perhaps we should rename our 7 states Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth?

During my QLD trip in April, I was hugely impressed with the "Find 30" campaign, designed to encourage 30 minutes of activity a day - 30 minutes of ACTIVITY people, noone is telling you to run on a treadmill for 30 mins, just get off your sofa, out of your car, or off your train and move your body for 30 minutes every day! Why not break it into 2 lots of 15 minutes, for a lot of people I know, they could walk to work in 15 minutes, others could get off the tram a couple of stops early to make up this target.

As a nation, Australians have access to an amazing variety of fresh produce, amazing seafood and lean meat, so why are we getting fat on junk?

Australia - Please put down the fork!!!

3 Comments:

At 7:49 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

That is so sad--especially since I know that Americans haven't lost weight!
What is happening to our world?!

 
At 12:24 am, Blogger Turning Japanese said...

So this headline is interesting and everyone is talking about it...
I have heard one report that explains this statistic more clearly (though we still should be embarrassed)... It said that the way we are going, it won't be long before we pass America. Our rate of obesity is quicker than theirs but they are still the fattest...

I like the find 30 initiative too. I am headed to the gym tonight - I promise!

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger Marg and Graham said...

Great statement AJ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home