Monday, May 07, 2007

Guess where we went Milla!!

Hi Milla,

Tino, Carly and I went to the London Zoo yesterday. They have a new Gorilla enclosure and we went to see them. Here is Tino with a "friend"


There were a few animals we really liked, mostly the small monkeys, but my new favorite animal is the Okapi, I had never seen it before, it is really bizarre!! It looks a little bit like a zebra, but a bit like a giraffe and a horse too. They are so cute. They have really long tongues, just like a giraffe, and their heads look like giraffes, but they have stripes on their bottom like a zebra and they are about as big as a horse. The San Diego Zoo tells you a lot about them on their website
The London Zoo was fun, but I think Melbourne Zoo is much better, I am sure they have more animals in Melbourne, and the animals are kept in much nicer enclosures. The London Zoo is a little bit old, and the enclosures are too, they are not like the natural environment of the animals like in Melbourne. Their new exhibitions are much better though, so I hope they continue improving, it takes a lot of money to make new zoo enclosures, so I donated some money to it.

They didn't have any Australian animals (only snakes and lizards) but they had animals I've never seen in a zoo before, like otters, a hippopotomus, a sloth (which was really active, not sleepy and lazy like they always say!) vultures and a bear.

Some of the other exhibits I liked was the butterfly house, it's a bit like Melbourne, but it is in a big caterpillar! We saw an enormous moth which would have been bigger than your face! The lions were really cool too, the female lion was really friendly, she was standing right near the glass and looking at everyone, then she stood up and put her front feet on the glass, she was much taller than me. We all like the reptile house, even Carly, who is scared of snakes. Some of the snakes were hiding, but in one tank there were 2 snakes who were moving a lot, one slithered up the glass and got hold of a tree above her head and climbed up, it was really amazing. I also liked the minature cayman which is like a crocodile, but much smaller and really cute.

It was a fun day out, hopefully you can take me to the zoo when I come home next.

3 Comments:

At 12:54 am, Blogger Unknown said...

The okapi is gorgeous! I've never heard of it.

 
At 8:43 am, Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like you really do need a real guide to take you around Melbourne Zoo...

The bears are over near the siamang on the way to the big cats. The otters are on the way to the tigers and the hippo is in that area too. It is only a pygmy hippo, but it is still pretty big. The real hippos are out at the safari zoo in Werribee!

Perhaps I will have to go to the London Zoo to meet the sloth and the freaky looking okapi giraffe/zebra/horse!

My new favourite part of the zoo is the Orangutans - they have an amazing new house. It is best to visit there around 4.30, when most people have gone home and the orangutans are getting ready for bed!

I love the zoo, please come to the zoo with me when you come for a visit!

Love Milla

 
At 8:48 am, Blogger Anna said...

Well, I stand corrected Miss Milla!! It is a long time since I've been to the Melbourne Zoo. I will have to go with you so you can show me around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home