Friday, May 11, 2007

Easy reading

My friend Tamasine recommended this book, London, by Edward Rutherford to me. It is a novel based around the last 17 Centuries of London history from the Druids to the present day. It is really interesting, but it is a HUGE book. I tried to read it for a few weeks, but after a while I realised that it was never going to be a commuting book for me, it was quite simply too heavy.

Anyway, after discussing it with Simon, my colleagues fiance, we hatched a plan to buy a copy second hand and cut it up into digestible chunks.

CUT UP A BOOK!!!???? Are you mad??? I hear you say!!

Yes, possibly, but quite honestly, I think it is more a shame to not read a book because it is too heavy than to cut up a second hand copy to make it easier to take with you.

This is what I did.

The original
Cut number 1
Final product

I now have 6 parts to a book I didn't think I'd be able to read because it was too long. I do get some funny looks on the tube though, I think people think I'm some mad woman reading half a book!!
A lot of friends have commented on it, and are going to try it too. I guess when I'm done reading it, I'll put it on the shelf all together for next time.
Get over the cutting up a book thing. It's not that important, really.

3 Comments:

At 10:34 pm, Blogger Marg and Graham said...

What a great idea - I guess the purists would say terrible but it certainly made the book manageable and let's face it it was not leather bound and gilt edged! M XXX

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger Anna said...

Not at all, it was 4 quid from e-Bay!!

I think even the purists would agree it's better to read the book, so a finger up to them!! Ha ha. Plus I've finished the first section already.

 
At 5:57 am, Blogger Scott said...

Are you still reading this?

I'm just trawling through your past posts to get in the mood for London - I laughed out loud at the 'mad woman' bit! To an outsider it really might seem like 'nutter on the bus' style behaviour, mightn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home