Friday, October 27, 2006

Sleep experiment

Tino and I have decided to try biphasic sleeping. My friend Mari has been doing it for a couple of weeks now and we're pretty intrigued.

The idea is to sleep in 2 blocks (hence the bi part of the name) It is based around the concept that humans are not natural monophasic sleepers, hence the concept of the siesta, and the counter mid afternoon concentration slump non siesta sleepers experience. Biphasic sleepers tend to require less hours sleep during their night phase - hence the Spanish habit of going out no earlier that 9pm yet still being able to get up to work at 9.

In biphasic sleeping, you sleep for 1.5 hrs and a second block of 4.5 or 6 hrs. Apparently our bodies natural sleep cycles are in 90 minute blocks and provided you sleep in multiples of this, you should wake up feeling refreshed and alert.

At the same time as hearing about biphasic sleep from Mari, Rocco has also been telling us how through experimentation he's discovered that he only needs 6 hours sleep a night, any more and he is tired during the day.

During my time in Iceland, I slept with the same patterns as my family there and was fine. We would normally go to bed around 1 and get up for work/school at 7ish and I was always amazed at how I never had a problem doing this.

I have always been terrible in the mornings, and I can't remember the last time I didn't feel tired during the day, so with nothing to lose, we start our experimentation tonight.

We are trying the following routine on night one:
1.5 hr nap at 9.30 (I know it's a friday and we should be out painting the town, but we've been busy all week, I'm really happy to be home.
Anna - sleep phase 2 at 1am get up at 7
Tino - sleep phase 2 at 2.30 get up at 7 or 1am get up at 5.30 and study (and be very, very quiet - Anna's sleeping)

Here we go

1 Comments:

At 12:18 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I like the sound of this.
6 hours works for me, the hard part I find is keeping occupied in the wee hours of the morning (god forbid the kids wake up), so I often lay in bed not sleeping but becoming tired and grumpy.
Lately 6 hours translates to waking at 5.30, so I have been walking to work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home